Thursday 28 February 2013

A Letter to remember ……

Hi Everyone,
How r u guys? I have been thinking about a forgotten art for few days. Want to really share about a misplaced sense of nostalgia.
There is always a reason for waking up early on Sunday mornings. Sunday is Family day. We spend time together roaming in parks, beaches, shopping, movies and sometimes long drives.

Last Sunday we decided to do some shopping. We were on our way to a newly opened shopping mall, when I noticed a building painted in red and white. Deserted and dusty almost looked like a ghost house. It’s our post office!
Did we really forget about post offices and letters we send through?
In the days of cell phones, emails and text messages, letter writing can seem hopelessly outdated. I don’t know whether there is someone out there, still, who send a letter to their loved ones through post. Now it’s just a matter of second to contact anyone in any part of the world. Even we can see them while we talk. So we just miss the experience of waiting long and receiving someone’s experience, heart and much more through paper and the happiness their after. I believe writing letters will always offer an experience that modern technology cannot touch. Sharing ones true thoughts, sincere sympathies, ardent love, and deepest gratitude.
Sending a letter is something like the next best thing to showing up personally at someone’s door. It’s the most realistic way of communication to our loved ones.
I remember writing letters to my friend who went to study in a different city. Receiving a good handwritten letter, inside a pretty card was a rare and special treat. Reading those letters always made the days better. I don’t know of a richer and more satisfying way of getting to know a person. I still have those letters with me as a treasure. Today I am cherishing the chance to hold the actual paper the person was holding. I feel connected.
What a lot we lost when we stopped writing letters. We can’t reread a phone call after 10 to 15 years.
Most of us might have the fortuitous of writing letters to parents, friends or a loved one.  Ink from our pen touching the stationary, our fingers touching the paper and sometimes sealing the envelope with saliva. Something tangible from our world travels through machines and hands and deposit itself in mailbox. Our letter is carried inside as an invited guest. The paper which was sitting in our desk, now sits on another’s. Will the modern technology ever bring this connection?
 I know many of you might have gone to look for some letters you received and read it cone more time.
We forget what an important part letter used to play in people’s lives. The pleasure of discovering handwritten letters in the post has gone forever. There might be millions of people out there in the world who might not have received even a single letter. Our next generation might never get the joy of writing or receiving handwritten letters and none will hear the postman’s knock.
The best means of communication that should come back should be hand written letters. It is surely a dying art. But I wish I could keep it alive.
I wish someone write me a letter .That would be one of the most beautiful things I would ever receive. How many of you wish the same?

With Love,
Divya

No comments:

Post a Comment